• Business
  • Markets
  • Politics
  • Crypto
  • Finance
  • Intelligence
    • Policy Intelligence
    • Security Intelligence
    • Economic Intelligence
    • Fashion Intelligence
  • Energy
  • Technology
  • Taxes
  • Creator Economy
  • Wealth Management
  • LBNN Blueprints
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Politics
  • Crypto
  • Finance
  • Intelligence
    • Policy Intelligence
    • Security Intelligence
    • Economic Intelligence
    • Fashion Intelligence
  • Energy
  • Technology
  • Taxes
  • Creator Economy
  • Wealth Management
  • LBNN Blueprints

Ramaphosa pledges to provide additional funding for the SANDF

Simon Osuji by Simon Osuji
February 21, 2026
in Military & Defense
0
Ramaphosa pledges to provide additional funding for the SANDF
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



President and Commander-in-Chief Cyril Ramaphosa has acknowledged the underfunding of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) over many years and has pledged additional financial allocations to turn the situation around, as well as matching resources with missions.

He made this known during his Armed Forces Day address in Thohoyandou on Saturday 21 February. Speaking outside the Thavhani Mall, he said funding of the SANDF has been tapering down over a number of years, but this “can no longer continue”. As a result, the military must be repositioned to make it stronger, with resources matching operational missions.

“Given the critical importance of the SANDF to our security, sovereignty and development, additional resources have been allocated from the budget”, to equip the SANDF to execute its task of defending the people of South Africa, Ramaphosa said. “This is a targeted intervention to close funding gaps, improve efficiencies and ensure our operational ambitions are matched by our resources.”

Part of this reprioritisation process is drawing down South Africa’s participation as a troop-contributing nation to the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).

The President said this will be done in a phased and well-orchestrated manner to ensure the safe return of troops and their equipment. “As we withdraw, we pledge our continued support to continental peace and security initiatives under the UN, the African Union and SADC.”

South Africa still has around 700 soldiers deployed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, making it one of the top ten troop contributing countries to MONUSCO. Last month, Ramaphosa told United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres that South Africa’s withdrawal decision is influenced by the need to consolidate and realign the resources of the South African National Defence Force, following 27 years of South Africa’s support to UN peacekeeping efforts in the DRC.

South Africa also contributed to the Southern African Development Community Mission in the DRC (SAMIDRC) but withdrew its forces last year after the early termination of the mission’s mandate following the fall of Goma to M23 rebels in late January 2025. The resources allocated to the DRC now appear to be going towards responding to domestic threats.

Speaking to assembled guests at the Armed Forces Day commemoration event, Ramaphosa confirmed his authorisation of the deployment of SANDF elements to support the South African Police Service in a targeted offensive against “brazen criminality, illegal mining and ruthless gangs. From the Cape Flats to Gauteng, our message is clear: the rule of law will be enforced and the safety of our citizens will be secured.”

Ramaphosa first announced the deployment during his State of the Nation Address on 12 February. Soldiers will be sent to Gauteng, the Eastern Cape, and Western Cape. Planning with the police is underway and intelligence is being gathered to inform where and how soldiers will be deployed.

“This deployment is a shield for the vulnerable, so that a child in Nyanga, Eldorado Park or New Brighton can walk to school without the shadow of a bullet haunting their steps,” Ramaphosa told the audience.

Domestic outreach

Also with regard to domestic activity, Ramaphosa pointed out the SANDF brought its expertise to assist in relief efforts following devastating flooding, loss of life and damage to infrastructure in Limpopo and Mpumalanga. Working together with local and provincial authorities the SANDF deployed engineers to support disaster management, repair roads and bridges, purify water and erect temporary structures for those affected.

“This recovery effort extended to our neighbouring country, Mozambique, where the SANDF rescued citizens from raging floodwaters,” the President said. The South African Air Force deployed an Oryx and two A109 helicopters to Mozambique last month, rescuing around 800 people.

As a demonstration of its developmental capabilities, the SANDF has been active in communities in Limpopo as part of the Armed Forces Day programme. During this period, the South African Military Health Service’s Project Owethu provided health services to rural communities in Sekhukhune, Waterberg and Vhembe Districts. These services have covered medical care, mental health, ophthalmology, oral health and orthopaedic care. The South African Military Health Services provided healthcare and health-related educational services to 50 000 people in these areas over the last month.

“Over the past week alone, more than 85 cataract procedures were conducted at Elim Hospital, restoring sight to many elderly patients,” Ramaphosa said. “Furthermore, the SANDF has visited schools to instil the values of patriotism, sharing with learners the importance of national symbols, the national anthem and nationhood.” On Friday, Defence and Military Veterans Minister Angie Motshekga donated more than 600 pairs of school shoes to Boxahuku Primary School in Qaza Village, Vhembe East, as part of the Armed Forces Day Legacy Project.

Commemorating the SS Mendi tragedy

On celebrating Armed Forces Day, Ramaphosa said it is about honouring the men and women in uniform who for 32 years have stood in defence of the country’s democracy, country and people.

Armed Forces Day is observed annually on 21 February to commemorate the sinking of the SS Mendi on 21 February 1917 in one of South Africa’s greatest military tragedies.  A total of 607 black South African troops, 9 white officers, and 30 crew lost their lives when the vessel sank en route to France after colliding with the SS Darro in heavy fog. (On Saturday morning, fog put a spanner in the works of Ramaphosa’s plans to fly from Makhado to Thohoyandou, forcing him to drive to his destination and pushing the start of Armed Forces Day commemorations out by over an hour, for which he apologised).

“The SS Mendi is a historical monument. That’s why we celebrate and commemorate the day,” the President said, adding that the sinking talks about heroism and dignity under oppression. “The tragedy of the SS Mendi reminds us of unity and solidarity. Their courage and spirit continues to inspire today.”

Armed Forces Day honours all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, Ramaphosa said, adding that there is no greater sacrifice than to lay down one’s life for other people. “What began as a day of mourning has evolved into a display of military capability and national pride.”

Ramaphosa noted that Armed Forces Day is a significant training and logistical exercise. “It is a real-time simulation of the SANDF’s ability to mobilise personnel and equipment across the country, modelling various threat scenarios in defence of our territorial integrity.”

Prime mission equipment showcase

After his speech, the SANDF flag was ceremonially handed by the Chief of the SANDF General Rudzani Maphwanya to the Chief of the South African Air Force, Lieutenant General Wiseman Mbambo, to honour the nation’s military personnel. It will be safeguarded by the SAAF until the next Armed Forces Day.

This was followed by a march past of South African Army, Navy, Air Force, and Military Health Service personnel. Almost all the prime mission equipment in the SANDF was showcased to the President, Defence Minister, Chief of the SANDF, guests and the thousands of members of the public who came to witness the spectacle.

In addition to vehicles in service with the SANDF, South African defence companies contributed several of their products. Twiga paraded its Nyoka and Nyati 4×4 armoured personnel carriers (APCs) while Paramount contributed its Maatla 4×4 APC, and Mbombe 6 6×6 and Mbombe 8 8×8 infantry fighting vehicles. The rarely seen vehicle-mounted Umkhonto surface-to-air missile launching system was also displayed. Other more recent acquisitions included SVI 6×6 armoured Land Cruisers and Max 3 6×6 vehicles.

South African Air Force contributions saw several formation flypasts, starting with three Hawks and a Gripen flying overhead before the President’s speech. Later in the parade, three Rooivalks and a BK117 formed the helicopter flypast. These were followed by a C212 and two Caravan transports; a C-130BZ Hercules and five PC-7 Mk II trainers; and the three Hawks and a Gripen representing the combat line.



Source link

Related posts

New Army office aims to quickly develop and scale soldier ideas

New Army office aims to quickly develop and scale soldier ideas

February 21, 2026
Embraer joins Northrop to devise autonomous boom system for KC-890 tanker

Embraer joins Northrop to devise autonomous boom system for KC-890 tanker

February 20, 2026
Previous Post

African Energy Chamber to Lead Delegation to Venezuela

Next Post

Youth Charter Calls for Sport-Led Youth Action Following African Union Summit in Addis Ababa

Next Post
Youth Charter Calls for Sport-Led Youth Action Following African Union Summit in Addis Ababa

Youth Charter Calls for Sport-Led Youth Action Following African Union Summit in Addis Ababa

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Google’s Deal With Stack Overflow Is the Latest Proof That AI Giants Will Pay for Data

Google’s Deal With Stack Overflow Is the Latest Proof That AI Giants Will Pay for Data

2 years ago
China Says Supports New UN Security Council Draft Resolution on Gaza Ceasefire

China Says Supports New UN Security Council Draft Resolution on Gaza Ceasefire

2 years ago
‘We’re not here to compete on volume’: DHG Holding on bringing AI-powered smart living to Dubai’s property market

‘We’re not here to compete on volume’: DHG Holding on bringing AI-powered smart living to Dubai’s property market

10 months ago
SAP Debuts Business Data Cloud with Databricks to Turbocharge Business AI

SAP Debuts Business Data Cloud with Databricks to Turbocharge Business AI

1 year ago

POPULAR NEWS

  • Ghana to build three oil refineries, five petrochemical plants in energy sector overhaul

    Ghana to build three oil refineries, five petrochemical plants in energy sector overhaul

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The world’s top 10 most valuable car brands in 2025

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Top 10 African countries with the highest GDP per capita in 2025

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Global ranking of Top 5 smartphone brands in Q3, 2024

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • When Will SHIB Reach $1? Here’s What ChatGPT Says

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Get strategic intelligence you won’t find anywhere else. Subscribe to the Limitless Beliefs Newsletter for monthly insights on overlooked business opportunities across Africa.

Subscription Form

© 2026 LBNN – All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact

Tiktok Youtube Telegram Instagram Linkedin X-twitter
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Markets
  • Crypto
  • Economics
    • Manufacturing
    • Real Estate
    • Infrastructure
  • Finance
  • Energy
  • Creator Economy
  • Wealth Management
  • Taxes
  • Telecoms
  • Military & Defense
  • Careers
  • Technology
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Investigative journalism
  • Art & Culture
  • LBNN Blueprints
  • Quizzes
    • Enneagram quiz
  • Fashion Intelligence

© 2023 LBNN - All rights reserved.